Saturday, March 03, 2007

PERSONAL [ Sneakers & my big brother ]



Since I posted the sneaker item, I've been thinking about why I have this sneaker addiction. I think it's because my brother created a monster when he used to give me his sneakers. My brother is an ex-athlete (pretty successful - Commonwealth games medalist, Welsh Champion/record holder, etc, etc) and he had; at varying times, exclusive contracts with most of the big shoe companies; Puma and Adidas specifically. When he used to receive the ordering catalogue from his agent....it was back to that Xmas feeling again. Absolute joy.

I can remember back when I wasn't a fatty that he got me a pair of red Puma King football boots that were the first of their kind. Nobody had seen different coloured boots back then and I'm sure it was half the reason I was able to out-fox defenders as they were staring at the boots. Nowadays, if you wear coloured boots you are either the greatest player on the park or gay. Sometimes both. Times have changed.

Footnote: My brother is the one on the far right. With him are his training partners Darren Campbell, 'Plug' from the Bash St Kids :sorry: I mean Matt Elias, his coach Linford Christie, his friend, footballer Nathan Blake and an up and coming rugby player called Jonah Lomu.

(Sorry, did that hit your foot? I dropped a name or two........)